Well, I've been wanting to blog for a while and keep failing massively to getting round to it...ah well. First of all, something completely unrelated to the entire blogosphere, just a kind message to the girls out there that wear leggings as a replacement for trousers: DON'T. You look rid-IC-ulous. Just wanted to share that with you all (I walked home from work behind a girl wearing leggings, and the sun was shining and I could see her pants. Not a pleasant sight. Just whilst I remember, one of my flatmates and I were discussing people wearing clothes that don't fit as soon as summer arrives, and flesh is more visible than necessary etc etc. and how last summer they were contemplating hanging a banner off the balcony saying: you are too fat for that. or whatever, something like that).
Ok, so work is going well, I like the people (still) and there is a great atmosphere. Only today, we were talking about how it's important that there is a great atmosphere at work, it means we look forward to going to work and because we enjoy it, we work. I am enjoying the translations that I am being given (still ones that have already been done, I'm not sure as an intern I can do official translations, either way I don't have enough experience).
The weather is picking up, last week it was very windy (Julia has informed me that it isn't windy two days a year), but once again, I am able to sit on the balcony to enjoy the sunshine (and sort out the ridiculous flower tan that I managed to develop on my legs).
This weekend was the Hafengeburtstag, the harbour/port's birthday. It was 822 years old (according to the website). There were lots of people, it was madly busy. I had been told that the Queen Mary 2 (massive cruise ship) would be there. So I went on Saturday after having eaten lunch with Julia and being directed in the right direction - "you can't miss it, it's a MASSIVE boat". Anyway, I looked and looked, and finally saw a BIG BOAT. After heading towards it, taking pictures of various other boats along the way, I realised it wasn't in fact, the QM2. So I had seen the Hafengeburtstag and didn't really have plans to go back again that day, as Dave and I had made loose arrangements to go on Sunday. As it so happens, he texted me saying he was going to watch the boat ballet with some work colleagues and I should go join them. So I did, but of course, organisation skills are not everyone's forté and I was late. So we tired to watch the boat ballet (boats dancing on water), but of course (once again), I am too short. Luckily people seemed to be in good humour about the fact that I was jumping up and down in the air to watch properly, and let me pass almost to the front (although this ridiculously tall man would not move). They were laughing "Let the kid to the front!". It was really interesting watching boats dance, hardly the most graceful of vessels, but it was surprisingly good. Anyway, then we went to the beach on the other side (because I was late, we didn't get over there to see the ballet) and sat and listened to music and chilled by the water, hoping to get a glimpse of the QM2. Which didn't arrive. I had looked on the internet once I had gone home after the first time at the programme, which said it was due to arrive at 18h30. Anyway, after a while, it was windy and shady so we went back to the other side, to sit on the grass and drink some beers (I was sliightly hungover from drinking the previous night on the balcony with the flatmates, got some great stories!). We stayed there on the grass for quite some time, then decided to go and dance to the music on at one of the stages. The music and dancing was followed by fireworks, then we went to another stage to see a rock band dressed in cow print with mohawks and all sorts, was great. DANCED LIKE CRAZY. My muscles still ache. Anyway, Dave and Tino (Dave's friend from Sweden, featured perhaps in another story about drinking by the lake, which I thought was the port. Clearly not.) walked me to the S-Bahn station and then I went home. I couldn't get in. Luckily I had seen Fabi's light on (the missing housemate, who has now helped me out with my keys, twice. And even been nice enough to give me his, as he only needs his at the weekend. I was sitting outside the door on Friday, having given up on trying to get in, and he just appeared with a suitcase, asked if he could help me. I explained that I live here, and the key I have is crap. Of course, he opened it straight away. Ohne Scheiß, that happens all the time!)
The week was rounded off with a jolly trip to Jim Block (burger place, really good) - with Julia, her friend from church Stefan and Fabi, and watching a couple of episodes of Shameless with the aforementioned (but replace Stefan with Nils).
That'll do. Ciao
No comments:
Post a Comment