Sunday, 1 May 2011

The big move, amongst other things.

Friday was spent not doing much, the highlight to be honest was meeting a lovely girl from Hong Kong in the hostel called Eba, she was looking for somewhere to stay and we ended up chatting for most of the afternoon. This was after I had gotten myself lost on the way to Frank's to pick up my luggage. I ended up deciding to take a taxi back to the hostel – I couldn't move in until the evening, so I used the hostel as my base for the day. I am normally quite anti-taxi, they tend to be relatively expensive. But with all my stuff and two changes, taking public transport was far from ideal. So when I got back to the hostel, I met Eba and I helped her look for a place to live. Now that I had somewhere to live, I could spend the time helping her. I equally didn't want to leave all my stuff at the hostel, so that suited me just fine. Anyway, because on Thursday Dave and I had faxed some papers over to the DAAD about insurance, I had to scan them the receipt of the bank transfer that I had done. So I put all my extra stuff in the luggage room and Eba and I wandered down onto the high street and after scanning the stuff over, we went and got a hot chocolate and sat outside in the sunshine. We discussed differences between Hong Kong and England and Germany, and our respective plans and it was lovely! Then we went back to the hostel and carried on looking for somewhere to live for Eba. I translated what she wanted to say into German for her (she speaks no German) and advised her to text and not email so much, as Andy (one of the housemates) had told me that people don't tend to reply to emails, more so phone calls. And given that she speaks no German, a text would be better (that's what I did and I managed to successfully find somewhere).


Eba then headed off for a bit of a wander, and I stayed a bit longer at the hostel (I meant to say that they showed a bit of the royal wedding)(and I had leftover pasta and veg for lunch, shared it with Eba because Dave had put a whole kilo (maybe) of pasta to cook. So there was lots of it). I then returned the key to the safe and got a member of staff to call a taxi for me and got my luggage ready. The taxi driver was relatively surprised with how much stuff I had given that I was on my own (I don't think it's that much). Anyway, I got to the apartment to find Andy waiting outside. He had locked himself out, but Julia would be back soon, she had gone to the supermarket. So we stood outside and waited, Julia was back not long after. I went and dumped all my stuff upstairs, Nils had not quite moved out, so I just left it in the corner and went to organise going to the supermarket, to get my bearings a bit. Andy said he was going, so I decided to go with him, Sunday being a Feiertag and all that jazz, I knew I needed to stock up on food. EVERYTHING IS SO CHEAP IN THIS COUNTRY. I mean, I didn't buy any proper meat, but still. 15€. For fruit and veg, some chicken for sandwiches, mozzarella, pasta, tomato sauce, gnocchi, crème fraiche and Weetabix (I knew you would all appreciate my shopping list hugely, it is very exciting!). Anyway, then I cooked dinner and watched a film with Julia, Debo and Nils (who in the meantime had moved all the last bits and pieces out of the room so I could move in). As soon as the film was over, I was extremely tired, so I went to bed.


Here is a quick character analysis/overview of the housemates (in alphabetical order – and I have only given some of them alter egos, as they are so blindingly obvious):


Andreas (Andy): likes football and running, blasts music out and is the guy I was in contact with about the place in the first instance, the one who was on the receiving end of my high pitched “REALLY?” and “Thank you so much” -es. He is one of the older ones (I think round about 29) and is a student.


Deborah (Debo – The crazy one): the best kind of nutcase that exists, she is very very funny and full of energy all the time. Very open and friendly. I'm not quite sure what she does, but I do know that she is somewhere round about my age.


Fabian (Fabi): ? The one I haven't met yet. He works in Zürich during the week and does something to do with I.T. and his room is next to mine. Watch this space.


Julia: She is really nice, works for women's magazines, is a scout and one of the 'older' ones. We get on really well and, as the majority of the others, is really helpful and patient and understanding when I can't get my words out.


Nils (The quiet one): Nils is 22 and repairs cars. He is also very quiet (I think he just takes a bit of time to open up, see next post).


That's all. Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment