Where were we? Ahhh yes. First full day in Hamburg, check. New German phone, check. First flat viewing organised, check. Not in Montpellier anymore, check.
10 reasons I know I'm not in Montpellier anymore
1. Everybody speaks German.
2. I can not successfully eavesdrop (yet).
3. There is no tram, only S and U Bahns, and as well as telling you the name of the stop, they tell you which side to get out of and also sometimes speak in English.
4. I am living in a youth hostel*.
5. Hamburg is huge. Massive.
6. You get money back for your bottles.
7. Everything is Dirt Cheap. Groceries usw.
8. The internet works!
9. Almost everybody speaks English.
10. Ritter Sport (for those of you that don't know it...YUM)
Ok, so Wednesday was the day of the flat viewing. Let me give you some info. Of course, just so you know, I did spend all day Wednesday looking at other places, sending out emails and stuff because I have heard of the horrors of trying to find somewhere to live in Hamburg.
I left the hostel at about 7.15 to head towards Blankenese, the location of this "flat" (and of my workplace, meaning it was an ideal location). The flat was right by the S Bahn station, no excuses for getting lost then :) (I didn't). I got there and had to wander round a bit as I was early. There was a girl standing on the balcony, so I figured this was one of the housemates. I strolled round the back to try and figure out how to get in. There was a door opening up to a stairway, but I wasn't sure that was it and I didn't want to just appear without being sure I was going to the right place. Just at that moment a girl called down the stairs telling me to come up. So I was in the right place. Wow, it looked amazing from the outside, a 3 storey building with a balcony usw usw. The ground floor was other things, like a taxi company and a Therapiezentrum. Words cannot describe how welcoming all the housemates were, and what a lovely evening I had. The room was small, but not unliveable. Only 1m squared smaller than my room in Vert Bois and I had a lot of stuff. I have downsized my belongings sufficiently.
There were 5 flatmates, 2 younger ones, 3 older ones, 2 girls, 3 guys. I didn't meet one of the guys as he is only home at weekends, as he works in Zürich during the week. The guy who I would be replacing was the biggest chatterbox in existence. I only know one other person who talks so much. But I literally could NOT get a word in edgeways. Anyway, all that aside, they asked me to stay for dinner, if I was hungry. I was hungry and I thought it would be a great opportunity to get to know them and let my personality sparkle through ;) I ended up staying for a few beers after dinner and before I left, they took my details to call me the next day after the last two viewings. I ended up getting back to the hostel close to midnight. This place was too good to be true.
*true on my second day in Hamburg.
No comments:
Post a Comment